Suan Sunandha Historic Tunnel


Noen Phra Nang Air Raid Shelter


Suan Sunandha was originally a inner royal court area of Dusit Palace. During King Chulalongkorn's (Rama V) second European tour in 1907, he observed several royal gardens in Europe, particularly enjoying Villa Nobel in Sanremo, Italy. Inspired by this, he envisioned creating a private forest garden for his own leisure. Upon returning to the capital in 1908, he immediately laid out the design for Suan Sunandha as a forest garden. He ordered the construction of a gate leading from Buai Road in Dusit Palace to Suan Sunandha, named Pratu Si Sae or Pratu Sunandha Thawan. He designed the landscape with rocky hills, canals, flower gardens, and various royal mansions scattered throughout. He graciously ordered the excavation of canals and a large pond within Suan Sunandha, as well as a canal in Dusit Palace named Khlong Meng Seng.

The soil excavated from these canals and the large pond was used to construct a large hill, which currently serves as the site for the Royal Monument of Queen Sunandha Kumariratana. During its construction, a tunnel was built for practical utility prior to being covered with soil to ensure the hill's structural stability and strength. As King Rama V noted in a royal letter to Chao Phraya Yommarat (Pan Sukhum): "I feel it would be a pity to waste the soil along Khlong Meng Seng, as it is close to the garden we plan to expand. If brought up to the garden, it could be piled up to form quite a high hill."

During the reign of King Chulalongkorn, the Suan Sunandha royal area remained mostly a forest garden, and construction was incomplete when his reign ended. King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) continued the construction until its completion in 1923. When Her Highness Princess Saisavali Bhiromya, Chrom Phra Sutthasininat Piyamaharaj Padivaraddha, Royal Consort of King Chulalongkorn, moved to reside permanently at her mansion in Suan Sunandha (now Building 27, Sai Suddha Nophadol) alongside her royal daughters, relatives, and court attendants, Suan Sunandha became the final center of the Inner Royal Court before the political transition. Her Highness used the tunnel beneath the hill to store everyday utensils, chinaware, and non-precious items. Following the 1932 Revolution, court attendants transported all stored items to Her Royal Highness Princess Nibha Nobhadol, who was living in political exile in Java, leaving the tunnel unused.

In 1937, the cabinet under Phraya Phahonphonphayuhasena resolved to convert Suan Sunandha into an educational institution for women, named Suan Sunandha Wittayalai School. During World War II, this tunnel served as an air-raid shelter for teachers and students, as well as a storage site for all crucial documents of the Ministry of Education at the time. As time has passed to the present day, this tunnel remains an enduring part of the university that stands against time. If the tunnel had a life of its own, it would surely have countless stories spanning over a century to endlessly tell the descendants of Suan Sunandha.